You need the Flash 8 plugin to view this banner.
Bookmark and Share
Friday, September 22nd 2017
You need the Flash 8 plugin to view this banner.
UK (Northern Ireland)
Register

Enter your email address to receive FREE global mediation news



Unsubscribe

Sponsors





Find out more >>


Featured Global Network Partner



Find out more >>

Find out more >>




Home > Country profiles > UK (Northern Ireland) > Articles > Article detail



There are no Country Representatives yet for UK (Northern Ireland), please contact us if you are interested - info@mediationworld.net




Top judge tells of frustration at slow progress on legacy cases

Thursday, 8th September 2017

"Only one legacy inquest from the Troubles is expected to be heard next year, Northern Ireland's most senior judge has said.

Lord Chief Justice Sir Declan Morgan again highlighted the lack of progress on dealing with the past as senior judges marked the start of the new legal year in Belfast.

"A lack of resources has in particular constrained our ability to deal with the backlog of legacy inquests, for which I was made responsible nearly two years ago," said Sir Declan.

"It remains a source of deep frustration to me that I have still not received a response to the proposals I put forward over 18 months ago for dealing with the matters for which I have been given responsibility."

When he assumed the presidency of the coroners' courts in November 2015, there were 55 cases, involving 96 deaths, and since then two further legacy cases have been referred.

Four cases have been completed since then and findings are awaited in another three cases.

There are two cases currently at hearing and a further three cases are listed for hearing by the end of December.

Sir Declan added: "That leaves us with 45 cases, many of which are hugely complex and for which we have not had the resources to carry out the substantial preparatory work that will be required to allow these cases to progress to inquest.

"In the 2018 calendar year, we anticipate just one further inquest being heard."

Sir Declan had put forward a five-year plan in February 2016 to deal with the inquests, all of them decades old.

He had requested £10m, but the funding was blocked by former first minister Arlene Foster.

The DUP leader said it wouldn't move on the issue until there was more discussion over how the victims of terrorism could achieve justice.

She also suggested that "there has been an imbalance in relation to state killings as opposed to paramilitary killings".

Meanwhile, paper-free courts are being planned as judges in Northern Ireland embrace the digital age. Online dispute resolution and virtual or remote proceedings are among other developments proposed."

Read this article in full. 


Web-link: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/top-judge-tells-of-frust...
Language: English
Contact: Michael McHugh


< Back